Friday, October 7, 2011

House Tipping (10/7/11)

Homemade Dryer Sheets

I have been looking for ways to save money around the house. I have made my own laundry detergent, which I will post when I figure out if I like it or not. But today was about making the bottles of fabric softener that I have gotten for less than $1 via couponing last as long as they possibly can. So here's what I have come up with:

Supplies:

  • Large resealable container with large opening (I use the disposable-type Rubbermaid bowls found at the Dollar Tree)
  • Concentrated fabric softener
  • Water

I keep a large Rubbermaid bowl in my laundry room with the following concoction - 1/4 cup concentrated fabric softener & 4 cups water.

To that, I add old wash cloths (I have several leftover baby washcloths that work perfectly for this).

When I have a load of laundry to dry, I take one cloth out, wring it out well, and add it to the dryer. When the dryer is done, I take the cloth, put it back in the bowl and use it again!

You can make this in larger batches (1 cup softener to 1 gallon of water), but you have to have a large enough resealable container and the place to store it...just keep that in mind.

When (if) I run out of fabric softener in the next century, I will share with you what I switch to. I am thinking I will be using vinegar in some way, but I am not sure which delivery system I like better...but there's something I really like about the scents of fabric softener from the store...I will be experimenting, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment